It’s week 5 of Calling It Home’s One Room Challenge, and I’m not sure if the funny feeling in my gut is excitement for next week’s big reveal or fear of all the details that need to yet be completed in order to even get to the reveal! If you’re just joining me here, you can catch up on all the happenings from the beginning here:
The details are really what makes the design of a room so I am totally exited to be at this point – and it’s pretty much what I’m focusing on from here on out with this challenge. That is, with the exception of a few small lingering projects, and one major one still looming (more on that later). The details are the most fun part of pulling a space together. It’s the little things in the design that tell the story of the room and the personality of the space (and of the people who live in it). It’s super fun to shop for too of course!
It oddly looks a little “Christmasy” put all together like this, but I can assure you it doesn’t feel like that when spaced in the room
While I’m not finished collecting all the pretty things I need in order to complete all the details for the space, I’ve got a good start on it. I did have a little crisis moment last weekend when I started to feel like some of the elements of the room were making the space feel a bit more masculine than I’d like. I love clean lines, neutral colors, wood and metal tones, and graphic patterns – and that can easily translate into a masculine looking space. Even though my household consists of 2 boys, 1 manboy, 1 dogboy and me (the lonely woman), I don’t want my family room to feel like a bachelor’s pad. I general, the design of the the room will have more masculine than feminine elements, and I’m totally comfortably with that, but I just felt it needed a bit more balanced.
Some of the natural elements I’ve bought so far have helped to soften the room a bit. The raw wood tones, mudcloth for the chairs, and greenery are helping to bring out a more relaxed bohemian feeling that counteracts some of the metal tones and strong lines. I think adding a few throw pillows and blankets with softer textures will help too- just need to find time to get them…oh time, why isn’t there more of you?
Unfortunately, I didn’t make much progress on the reupholstering of the vintage chairs. I did get the cushions dropped off to the upholsterer last week, so that counts for something, right?! The chairs are currently sitting in their sad state in the family room, with no cushion and unfinished.
I did finally decide on and ordered the mudcloth, however. After many, MANY hours of stressing about going with black or white mudcloth (due in part to the concern over the masculine feeling), and worrying about matching patterns together ( I need multiple pieces for this project – I finally just pulled the trigger. I received them really fast, and am really happy with them. They are beautiful – I just hope and pray they work out they way I envision.
I have all day Friday set aside to work on the the reupholstery project. And I’m pretty sure that will actually mean Friday… plus Saturday, plus Sunday…. *Sigh* Is it a bad sign that I’m dreading this project before it even starts?
I did manage to make some progress on the reworking of my clock. I’m about half-way done with that project and it’s looking pretty good so far. I will say, this project is not necessarily a cheap DIY. In total it’s costing me about $100 to rework this clock face. But, given I couldn’t find a large enough clock in the style I was looking for, for no less than $300 – then I guess it’s worth it.
Part of the reason it is so expensive to rework, is that I’m using house numbers from the hardware store to replace the printed ones on the face.
To make sure the placement of the numbers was accurate, I placed them over the printed numbers, and then spray painted the face. This made it easier to put them where they belong after painting instead of trying to guess or measure it out.
I removed the numbers after the paint dried, and gave them a coat of brass colored spray paint. I also covered the face with paper bags and and sprayed the hands to match the numbers. I just need to assemble it all back together and add the leather belt strap. I think it’s going to look great when it’s all finished.
That’s the progress this week. I really should have gotten more done, but hey, it is what it is. Here’s the to do list as of today:
Build DIY floating shelving Decide on and purchase a new rug Locate a pair of vintage chairs, Find fabric andreupholster the vintage chairs Complete the DIY marble coffee table Change out the current feet on the sofa for new feet Purchase clock and DIY the leather strap lookRework existing clock and DIY the leather strap look ( 1/2 done) Createa two part typographic print for shelves (created, just need to print) Stain the media cabinet
Purchase floor lamps
Install goose neck sconce lighting above the bookshelves Purchase table lamps(1/2 Done)
- Purchase misc furnishings:
bar cartStool (I didn’t like the bar cart, so changing gears here)
- side table
- Purchase Decor
Flag for wall
- Misc. display items for:
- Coffee table
- Top of Media Cabinet
I know I have some long days and late nights in front of me this coming week – but I’m totally looking forward to pulling all the details of the room together and sharing it will you all! Thanks for following along with me on this fun adventure!